Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Secret Ingredient Low-Carb Granola

Secret Ingredient Low-Carb Granola

In my former life, I was a serial cereal eater. If ever I fancied a snack I’d head straight for a bowl of sugar and carbohydrate laden cereal.

I don’t miss those days, or the way that all of those grains made me feel. But… I do miss that crunchy goodness of a bowl of cereal and milk.

I mean, bacon and eggs is the breakfast of champions and the best part ever of the keto lifestyle (am I right?) but some days I either don’t have time to cook breakfast or I just want that crunch!

Enter my low carb granola. If I do say so myself, It’s a winner. I have experimented a lot with this recipe and don’t believe that I can improve on this.

Keto. Crunchy. Nutty. A hint of sweetness. And a secret ingredient - flax meal - that gives it that “bowl of cereal” mouthfeel, instead of just wet nuts. I like to eat mine with some almond milk, or spooned over the top of some coconut yoghurt.

Anyway, try it for yourself. At under 3 grams of net carbs per serving, it’s a whole lot better for you than cereal.

Preparation time
Hands-on:    10 minutes
Overall:     1 hour 10 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving)
Total Carbs 8.3 grams
Fiber 5.6 grams
Net Carbs 2.7 grams
Protein 5.4 grams
Fat 17.3 grams
of which Saturated 5.5 grams
Energy 197 kcal
Magnesium 80 mg (19.9% RDA)
Potassium 176 mg (8.78% EMR)

Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (12%), fat (82%)

Ingredients (makes 6 cups/ 24 servings)

Note: Flax meal can be switched with chia seeds or almond meal but won’t give the same end mouthfeel. Sugar-free maple syrup can be skipped or replaced with Erythritol, Swerve or stevia, to taste.

Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 150 C/ 300 F. Combine all nuts, seeds and spices, except for the salt and orange zest, into a large bowl.
  2. Melt the coconut oil in a small pan or carefully in the microwave. Add the sugar-free maple syrup and mix well. Pour melted ingredients into nut and seed mix and combine thoroughly.
  3. Spread mixture out in an even layer onto a lined baking tray and bake for 60 minutes.
  4. Stir every 15 minutes and keep a close eye on it after the 45 minute mark, it can easily go from toasted to scorched.
  5. Once brown and crunchy, remove from oven and let cool. While still warm, but not hot, sprinkle sea salt and orange zest over granola and stir through. Once chilled, transfer into a jar or airtight container and keep at room temperature for up to a month. One serving is about ¼ cup (it doesn’t sound like much, but it is plenty when you eat it). Serve with plain full-fat yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk or coconut milk.
http://ift.tt/2t1q4lC

No comments:

Post a Comment