Monday, November 5, 2018

Homemade Low-Carb Graham Crackers

Homemade Low-Carb Graham Crackers

What was I thinking? When the lovely Martina asked if I could develop a keto Graham Cracker recipe, I though “Why not?”

There was just one teeny little problem though; here in Australia we don’t have Graham Crackers so I had no idea what they should look or taste like.

So, I called in my US friends and asked them to describe them for me. I then chose the three most popular recipes that I could find and cooked them.

Taking into account all of the similarities between the end results of the baking and the descriptions that I received, I deduced that these keto-friendly graham crackers should be not overly sweet or highly flavoured, but with a kind of malty, cinnamon type flavour.

They should be a study cracker and have fork marks on top. So, I’m desperately hoping that I’ve nailed it with this recipe. Let me know if I nailed it or completely bombed. Regardless, I think these are freaking delicious and will be making them again. Enjoy!

Preparation time
Hands-on:    15 minutes
Overall:     1 hour 15 minutes
Nutritional values (per cracker)
Total Carbs 2.2 grams
Fiber 1 grams
Net Carbs 1.2 grams
Protein 2.1 grams
Fat 7.2 grams
of which Saturated 2 grams
Energy 78 kcal
Magnesium 24 mg (6% RDA)
Potassium 65 mg (3% EMR)

Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (11%), fat (83%)

Ingredients (makes 24 crackers) Instructions
  1. Cream the butter and the Swerve until light and fluffy, approx. 5 minutes. This step is really important, so take your time and don’t rush it.
  2. Combine almond flour, flaxmeal, salt, baking powder, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl.
  3. Add eggs and molasses to the creamed butter and mix until combined.
  4. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low until a dough forms.
  5. Cut a piece of silicone paper the size of your baking tray (or two, if your trays are smaller). Place the dough ball on top and cover with a second sheet of silicone paper.cRoll out until the dough is about 5 mm/ 0.2" thick.

  6. Score the dough with a knife, cutting it into squares. Prick each square with a fork in a repeating pattern. Place the sheet back on top and freeze for about 30 minutes.
  7. Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C/ 355 °F. Remove tray from freezer and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and switch oven off. Re-cut the lines in the crackers and move them apart on the tray.

  8. Return the tray to the cooling oven and leave it there for about 10 minutes. The crackers will crisp up further as they cool.

  9. Store in a sealed container for up to 14 days, although they will soften slightly towards the end.

https://ift.tt/2SOESxe

No comments:

Post a Comment