Sunday, August 27, 2017

Low-Carb Mocha Lace Biscuits

Low-Carb Mocha Lace Biscuits

It was my husband’s birthday recently and I made him a stupendous (if I do say so myself) keto cheesecake to celebrate. As I was putting it all together I realised that I wanted something to place on top, a thin, chocolatey biscuit.

So, I quickly made up a batch using butter, almond meal and coconut as the base. I was in a rush and added a bit of this, a bit of that, a touch more of this…

THEY WERE THE BEST BISCUITS I’VE EVER MADE! Sorry about the shouting, but they really were. Did I write it down? Of course not! That would have been way too sensible of me.

It’s taken me quite a few experimental batches to get these just right but I’ve captured the crispy on the outside, chewy in the centre, bitter with a rich chocolate taste, goodness of those biscuits.

My original batch were made with an Australian spice called Wattleseed. If you can get your hands on some, do try it. I wanted to make this recipe accessible to everyone, so I used instant coffee in its place. They have very similar flavour profiles.

I hope you love them as much as we do.

Preparation time
Hands-on:    10 minutes
Overall:     30 minutes
Nutritional values (per biscuit)
Total Carbs 6 grams
Fiber 4.4 grams
Net Carbs 1.6 grams
Protein 1.9 grams
Fat 8.5 grams
of which Saturated 3.8 grams
Energy 95 kcal
Magnesium 28 mg (7% RDA)
Potassium 86 mg (4% EMR)

Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (9%), fat (84%)

Ingredients (makes 18 biscuits) Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 190 C/ 375 F. Place butter, Swerve, low-carb maple syrup and vanilla in a pan on the stove over medium heat and melt together.
  2. Meanwhile, place all dry ingredients into a bowl and mix to break up any clumps. Line two large baking trays with ovenproof paper.
  3. When melted, pour butter mixture into dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture will seem quite liquid at this point, but don’t panic. Keep stirring for about 30 seconds and it firms up.
  4. Using a teaspoon, drop small spoonful’s onto your baking trays.
  5. Leave some space between them as they spread quite a bit. Flatten the balls slightly using wet fingers. Bake for 12 minutes.
  6. The biscuits will not crisp up until completely cold so remove from oven and let cool on the trays. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
http://ift.tt/2wJx6gs

No comments:

Post a Comment